Friday, January 9, 2009

Revelations

No, not that creepy scary part of the Bible.

There is nothing like a good epiphany moment when you are taking a shower and minding your own business.

I don't know about you, but I have two miniature children (under three), and a husband, who all constantly command my attention every last minute of the 24 hours I'm allowed every day. Needless to say, unless I barricade myself in my bedroom with strict instructions that I'm not to be bothered for X amount of time, I don't get a whole lot of free time to write and/or plot. I do most of it in the car (when the kids aren't screaming), and in the shower.

I love showers. In fact...I take two a day. Hubby thinks it's because I'm a clean freak. I know better. It's because I think better in the steamy silence...and because I'm a clean freak.

So, I was taking a nice hot steamy shower this morning (while Thing 1 tore the house apart and Thing 2 sat happily in his bouncer watching Dora and Diego), and pondering my story. I'm a little over a third of the way in, and I feel like everything is moving too quickly all of a sudden. The first quarter of it landed about where I wanted to, but the rest is going much too fast. At the same time, it's happening at the same speed it needs to happen. Confusing, no?

I'm coming up quickly on that sagging middle, and man is it looking like it's going to sag.

Then, suddenly, it occurs me.

The Hero isn't going to get what he wants in the end. Oh, he thinks he is, of course. And, for a while, it seems like he will. But then, our heroine is going to show him the error of his arrogant and controlling ways. Our poor dejected hero, who has everything he thought he wanted but finds that he's sadly lacking what he didn't realize he needed, is going to spend the rest of the book trying to force this enigma of a wife to love him - because alphas always get what they want.

So, what I thought was going to be the big climactic ending, is really going to be the jumping off point for the middle, a decision there is no turning back from that will turn the love story completely around.

I'm excited, and can't wait to get writing.

Unfortunately, since I'm also hanging out with my nephew, I have THREE pint sized terrors today, and the writing will have to wait until naptime.

No comments:

Post a Comment